A compact workstation to teach the fundamentals of residential geothermal heat pumps
This system allows students to develop knowledge in heat transfer and air conditioning. The exercises are designed learn the skills required during installation, operation, and troubleshooting of geothermal heat pumps. Geothermal heat pumps are among the most energy efficient systems available today for heating and cooling residences. Like solar and wind energies, geothermal is among the renewable energy sources whose utilization increases each year, meaning that more qualified technicians need to be trained.
- Explain the concept of geothermal energy, geothermal heat pumps, ground loops, and the refrigeration cycle
- Plot the refrigeration cycle on a pressure-enthalpy diagram using pressures and temperatures measured on the learning system
- Determine COP and energy efficiency ratio (EER) using measured temperature, humidity, voltage, and current values
- Learn how to characterize a geothermal heat pump system
- Analyze and compare two geothermal heat pump system projects using reports produced by software design tools
Request a Quote
Features & Benefits
- Compact and safe workstation that faithfully replicates a geothermal residential installation
- Simulates the effects of various ground-loop lengths and configurations as well as changing environmental conditions
- Temperature measurement points, flow meters and pressure gauges to demonstrate the theoretical concepts involved
- Standard commercial components students will use in the field
- Six instructor-insertable electrical faults to develop troubleshooting skills
Festo LX – The online portal for teachers and learners to access and create a customized learning experience.
Key features overview See what our learning portal can do: